Sunday, September 27, 2009

Limelight Week 4 with Michelle - Basic Paper Piecing


I think paper piecing and distressing are my 2 favorite techniques. I love the look of paper piecing, but also enjoy the process of stamping the images, cutting and piecing it all together.

For this card I used paper from the Basic Grey Archaic line and some distressing to create a rustic and country looking peach card.


I first stamp the image on the paper that will be the "canvas" for the piecing. I also stamped the enough times that I have a choice of prints to use. The pieces are then all cut out.


Once I cut the pieces out I start glueing the pieces down. I like to leave the edges without glue so they can be pried up a bit for added dimension.


The leaves were stamped on a plaid paper. I really like to use patterns for most of my paper piecing for added interest.


Once the pieces were glued down I ran the layer through a Spellbinder scalloped oval for the shape. I also added extra leaves to the top of the image and distressed the edges.



This should have been my next step but I just couldn't get the layout to work right.... I kept playing around and still wasn't happy until I had that "aaaaha!" moment and flipped it upside down.


Once I flipped the layers it all came together. I stamped the sentiment and layered it on multiple payers and added a gold organdy ribbon.

I've had soooo much fun being the flourishes Limelight designer. I hope you had fun reading my posts each week and maybe learned a little something. I can't wait to see who's up next!

10 comments:

Laurie said...

Truly lovely.

NancyK said...

What a great way to show paper piercing! Your choice of designer paper was great and I love the paper you used for the leaves. This was a very easy to understand tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

cheryl said...

all i can say is stunning creation love it love cheryl xx

Latisha said...

This is so beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful paper piecing, Michelle!!
Now, I have more ways to play designer papers!! TFS~

The Rubber Maid said...

Wonderful cards and you were an awesome guest for Flourishes this time around. Love the post today with the paper piecing. TFS all your artistic talent. Pat

Julie Koerber said...

AWESOME MICHELLE! You have done such an amazing job this last month... we will miss seeing your gorgeous work here! ;-)

Deebi27 said...

Michelle, You've had some fantastic cards during your Limelight month and this last week is no different. I love the paper piecing. The visual texture are wonderful. Great work! Hope to see more work of yours!

wwilloww said...

You are so talented!! Thanks for sharing so much with all of us! Thanks for this tutorial on paper piecing. The card is beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes I did have fun following your tutorial and really think you did a fantastic jov..Everything works together..

pat