Sunday, June 14, 2009

Limelight Week 2 with Sherry - Sanding!

Good Sunday morning! I hope everyone had a good week and you’ve enjoyed your weekend so far. Remember last week when I told you that I wasn’t happy without my daubers and sanding tools in front of me? Well, this week I have decided to do a sanding project. The best thing about this project, is that I recently received some gorgeous SEI papers that have a white core. Another one of my favorite ways to distress.

Before I get into the details of my card, my favorite sanding tool is nothing more than a nail file that you can purchase at any drugstore or discount store. One of the cheapest sanding tools I’ve found. There are two ways I like to sand, which I will try to explain in the next few photos.

Sanding the embossed accents by holding the file flat.

Sanding the edges by angling the file.

Here's my card for this week.

sherrycheeverflourishesrosesjune13.jpg

Hopefully you’ll be able to tell in the photo, that the striped background paper was wrinkled, crushed and crumpled and then unfolded. Holding the file flat, I sanded along the top of all the wrinkles and then at an angle to sand the edges.

The bottom background layer was embossed with the Spellbinders Paisley Impressabilities and then sanded the Spellbinders Grand 12” Classic Lace Borderabilities and then sanded to show the highlights of the embossing.

The background layers for the rose, was die cut and then embossed with Spellbinders Labels One Nestabilities. These edges of these layers were sanded with the file at an angel. The only sponged layer on this card, is the white panel the rose is on; and it was sponged very lightly with Ranger Antique Linen Distress Ink.

The rose was stamped out 3 times and each image colored with Copic Markers. The two extra layers were trimmed out, and then layered on top of the bottom using foam tape in between the layers. Here’s a closer look:

Even though the inside of the card is finished, I didn’t add a sentiment. Since this image is quite versatile, a sentiment can very easily be added to the inside for any occasion.

  • Stamps: I Love Roses from Flourishes Stamps
  • Paper: Prism Blush Red Light; Neenah Classic Crest Solar White; SEI Dill Blossom – Poi, Myrrh and Licorice
  • Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Ranger Antique Linen
  • Accessories: Spellbinders Paisley Impressabilities, Grant 12” Classic Lace Borderabilities, Labels One Nestabilities; May Art Ribbon, Venture Foam Tape, Copics and Airbrush System; Sanding Tools; SEI Brads; Tsukineko Sponge Dauber; Ranger Matte Accents

Thanks for joining me today and I’ll see you next Sunday! I would love to see your work if you try sanding. You can either post a link here or send me an email.

9 comments:

Sewflake said...

Sherry, this is a wonderful technique, thank you much for reminding us and showing how well it works when making cards. And it does show off the rose image very well. Wonderful job and with your explaination and pictures. Love the idea of no sentiment until you are ready to "give" the card.

Michelle Woerner said...

Just beautiful Sherry! Thanks for the visuals about sanding. It's good to know that you don't need fancy expensive sanding blocks to make a lovely card! Hugs,

Latisha said...

Beautiful card. You know I have sanding and distressing tools but I never use them...gonna have to get them out and see what I can do. Thank you for the beautiful inspiration
hugs
Latisha

NancyK said...

Oh Sherry - what a gorgeous card! I love how you colored the rose - so pretty! I see you used a flat nail file to sand - I envy how you are able to do this, I have to use one of those larger rectangle files.

Anonymous said...

Stunning card and great tutorial!

Julie Koerber said...

Sherry... this is a knock 'em dead kind of card! Love the look of sanding after the paper was embossed - -just too pretty! Thanks for sharing your tips!!! :-)

Anita said...

Wow! Beautiful card! Great tips!

Becky said...

Sherry this is just a beautiful card, love the 3d rose.

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Gorgeous Sherri! Love the effect of the sanding and your rose is beautiful! Awesome card all round!