Sunday, September 13, 2009

Limelight Week 2 with Michelle - Color Outside the Lines

Hi everyone! This weeks technique I wanted to share is something I call "Coloring Outside The Lines". Rather than coloring the inside of the image, color the ouside for a nice contrasting look. I thought the Gerber Daisy set was perfect for this technique so you can leave them white and color the background any color you want.
I like unusual color combinations, so I wanted used some a pink/yellow/green combo for this card. It's a bright and bold combo that really pushes the comfort zone! The main image was stamped on Flourishes Classic White Cardstock, which is perfect for coloring with copics.
Once the main image was stamped and cut down to size I started with the darkest shade of pink (RV13) and thickly outlined around the flowers. I then used lighter shades (RV11 & RV10) as I moved away from the flower and finished up with V000 around the edges of the panel. I like to start with the darkest color first and continue to blend with the lighter shades until it looks "just right".
While the pink looked pretty, I wanted to pump up the color a little bit so I used YR31 to color over the entire background area. This gave the whole image a sunrise/sunset cast to it.

If you accidently color inside the lines just take your blender pen and guide the ink back to the stamped line. I love how easy it is to fix mistakes with Copics.... I'm not neat when I color so being able to go over the same area multiple times is a real plus for me.

I added a bit of color to the stems using YG03, YG11, and G05.
Filled in the insides of the flowers with orange and yellow (YR61 & Y02). Then added a little bit of shading to the flower petals with C-1.
I almost never can leave an edge unfinished....so I usually apply some distress ink to it. My absolute favorite is vintage photo.... but I do use a variety of others as well. I apply the ink with a sponge applicator for the distress tool.
I finished up the card by matting the main image on bright green cardstock. The butterfly was stamped, colored, cut out and adhered to the top part of the image. The sentiment was stamped on a scrap of white paper then added to the bottom of the card along with some buttons and a strip of scalloped edging.

What do you think? I hope you enjoyed this brief tutorial, it's a fun technique that really comes in handy when for images like the white flowers.

See you next Sunday!

11 comments:

Carol Southern said...

I've never thought of doing a stamped image like this, what a great idea it is. It looks fresh and stylish. These Limelight series give me such a wonderful lot of things to try out, I just love them.

Heide said...

Oh my gosh!!! I have never thought of that before, wonderful, wonderful and gorgeous idea! Thanks a bunch michelle.

Stacy Morgan said...

Oh a very springy card, great idea coloring out of the lines! Thanks for a wonderful tutorial!

Anne said...

Wow terrific idea, thanks so much for the tutorial. Trust me I need all the help I can get LOL!

Unknown said...

What an incredible idea!! Your card is so pretty!!
Thank you for the great tutorial.

Carol L said...

What a great tutorial! I love that the color is outside of the flowers, making them appear to be white! Pure genius!! TFS!!

Linda Carson said...

Absolutely gorgeous Michelle! I'll be giving this a try w/your tutorial! Thanks!

ellen s. said...

beautiful!

lisa808 said...

Beautiful!

creativearts said...

Excellent idea! I hope I can remember this when I color again. Love the white daisies.

Julie Koerber said...

Just beautiful Michelle! When I saw your post, I had that 'ah-ha' moment! Like the other gals, I just never thought about highlighting the background! :-) Fabulous tutorial!