Thursday, October 22, 2009

Friday Focus - Fancy Folds

Hello Flourishes Friends! It's Christine here today with another Friday Focus. Do you ever have those times when you'd like a really special, or really fun and different card for an Occasion? Today I'm going to show you a couple of Fancily Folded cards that would fit the bill wonderfully.

I call this first card the"Christine Tri-Fold Book". I was playing around with an idea one day and this is what I came up with, I first did this card HERE if you'd like to see another example. Essentially it is a graduated height Tri-Fold that you can do open like an accordian or closed and sealed like a book.

Here is what the finished card looks like...then I'll show you how to get there!

Closed (excuse my finger holding it together :)



And slightly open:



Alright to start with you'll need the following paper sizes cut:

5 1/2" x 12" panel for your base (here in Soft Sky)
a 4 1/4" x 2 3/4" panel to add to this (also in Soft Sky)

Then you'll need smaller panels for each section after you've assembled it as accent pieces to decorate.



I scored the 5 1/2 x 12 panel at 4 1/4, 7 3/4 and 11 1/4. Then I added the extra 4.25 x 2.75 inch panel to that little leftover fold. Adhere with something like Sticky Tape or Scor Tape to hold it firmly together. Below are the pieces adhered together.



Then you want to create your graduated heights. First begin by trimming of the tiny piece above the lowest level. I trim right in the crease right past the fold line, so it will lie flush with the seam and not show any of the scored edge.



Then you want to take that middle layer, the one next to the lowest panel and trim it down about 3/4 of an inch, this way you've created your graduated layers.



Next I did all my "pretty-ing", I created layers for each panel in 1/8" smaller sized pieces, rounded the corners with my corner rounder, and added all my stamped accents. On this card I used the new set Drummer Boy and colored all the instruments and Holly and bows with Copic Markers accenting with a white gel pen.

You have 2 options with this style of card, one you can leave it openable like an accordian as below:



Or you can seal the middle panel shut to be more like a book. Which I did here:



Here are some closeups of the panels:



See how the ribbon disguises the front panel attachement?



And the last panel:



And just for good measure, how about another style of Fancy Fold? This is a Z-Fold done vertically rather than how many of you may have done it in the past - horizontally. This idea is from the very talented Valerie Stangle . She did a tutorial for this style on World Card Making Day link is HERE. (see the first post).



These doves from the beautiful new Dove and Holly set are watercolored and sponged, I just followed all of Val's steps to create a real show-stopper style of card. (I'll have more pics of this one on my blog if you're interested).

Alright...the very talented Design Team girls have also jumped into this challenge of creating Fancy Folds today, so be sure to give them a visit!

Christine Okken (that's me :) !)
Cindy Lawrence has done an Easel Fold Card
Julie Koerber made a fun card in a box with some fancy folds
Latisha Yoast has made a Criss-Cross Fold Card
Leslie Miller has an Accordian Gate Fold
Stacy Morgan has a Wallet Tri-fold to show you.

9 comments:

Karen Dunbrook said...

totally stunning z folded card...jaw dropping....

Julie Koerber said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Christine, these are both off the charts stunning with that ever so rich color palette and your mad coloring skills! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial!

Leslie Miller said...

Beautiful cards and fabulous tutorial, Christine! You make it look so easy, even for me! Thank you!

Tracy Durcan said...

These are really fantastic!!

Linda Carson said...

This is brilliant Christine! Thanks for sharing the details.

Traci M said...

These are so beautiful Christine!! I am always in awe of your work. Hopefully I can remember to try one of these on my next Flourishes card, they are wonderful ideas!!

Barbara Hagerty said...

These are GORGEOUS! Thank you so much for the clear and detailed instructions!!

Beate said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Christine, you rock! Love the unique look of your first one and am blown away by the coloring of the second.

Hugs and smiles

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this great tutorial !
here is my card :
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2391923?&cat=500&ppuser=205884
greetings,
Monique ( niki1 )