Friday, August 28, 2009

Flourishes Focus: Masking

Hey everyone~

Cindy here! :) Today I'm going to share a tutorial on masking using Eclipse Masking Tape. Have you seen it? It's in the Flourishes store, and it truly is the best product I've used for masking images.


Today I'm taking you "back to basics" with a simple form of masking.

I started my project by stamping an image from the Poppy Patch set three times on Classic White cardstock. I used Palette Hybrid Noir Black ink.


Now, I wanted my flowers to look more natural, like they would in a garden. So I decided to stamp a couple more flowers in between. In order to do this without overlapping the lines of my images, I needed to mask the images I had already stamped.

So, I stamped a couple more poppies onto my Eclipse Masking Tape, and cut them out.


Next, I stuck the stamped Eclipse Tape directly over my stamped images and proceeded to stamp the remaining poppies. Here you can see me peeling off the last "mask".


I used to use Post-it notes for masking; but this stuff is sooo much better! I definitely did not know what I was missing until I tried it! For one, the Eclipse Tape is sticky all over; so there's no chance of it slipping or moving and ruining your project. It is completely re-usable as well, since it doesn't lose it's stickiness. I store my masks with my Flourishes stamp sets, stuck right to the side! :)

Here's my finished card. I just love the dimension and depth you get from something so simple as masking off a couple of flowers! How easy is that!?

Here's the full card recipe:

Stamps: Poppy Patch

Papers: Classic White, Basic Black, Sweetbay Designer Paper

Inks: Palette Hybrid Noir Black, Copic Markers: Poppy Collection, Evergreen Collection, C7 from the Cool Neutrals Collection, BG11 from the Water Collection

Accessories: White Pearls (dyed black with Copic Marker), Angel Wings Shimmerz Paint, Black Satin Ribbon, Black Crocheted Lace Ribbon

I really wanted to show you a second sample using masking in a different way; but I just ran out of time. I did start the card; so I'll show you quickly another masking technique without a finished sample at the end.


I know...what a tease, huh?! I tore the edge of my roll of Eclipse Tape and adhered it to the bottom edge of a folded card base. Then I used the Palette Hybrid Landscape pad and a sponge dauber to sponge ink all along the exposed edge. This is a terrific technique to use when you want to add the "illusion" of layers of cardstock, without actually adding the layers. Stay tuned this coming week on my blog for the full reveal of this card. ;)

So, you wanna see some more masking fabulousness??? Well, hop on over to the rest of the design team blogs to see what they've come up with for you:
Until next time, happy stamping!

Hugs~
Cindy

6 comments:

Nancy Jensen said...

Gorgeous card! I can't wait to see the next one that you started on.

I just want to say that I LOVE the masking tape! I purchased some awhile back and I love it. I usually put the mask with the stamp after I'm done with it, that way I'll have it when I need it again. It can be used several times which is just awesome!

So now I have a question. What type of tape do you use if you need to tape one of the nestabilities down and don't want it to damage your paper?

Thank you so much for this tutuorial! I LOVE your newsletter. :)

Lois said...

Pretty card, Cindy -- that ribbon is great. Masking is one of my favorite techniques. I've not tried the Eclipse Masking Tape -- just Post-It notes; so I may give it a try.

Denise Marzec said...

YES, you ARE a tease, LOL!

LOOOOOOVE your poppies card. So pretty!!

Julie Koerber said...

Just stunning GF!!! Those poppies all staggered like that are SO vibrant and beautiful! Thanks for the fantastic tutorial! Now people can see how awesome this tape is! :-)

Shirley N said...

Beautiful card--your poppies just pop! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Linda Carson said...

Beautiful artwork Cindy! I love Eclipse Tape!!