Sunday, December 13, 2009

Easter Blessings!

Hi! It`s me, Yvonne. I hope you`re all having a wonderful Sunday!
Christmas is not here just yet, but I`m already preparing for Easter...

This week I`m sharing a card using the beautiful Easter Blessings set.



I also thought I`d share a little tutorial on how I use the Distress Inks to color my images. I know that most of you use Copics these days, but I still hold on to my Inks:)


These are my supplies. I use an aqua brush to pick up the color from the palette. You can use both reinkers and pads.


Starting to color the cross with Antique Linen.


Using Vintage Photo to color up the darker parts of the cross. These are the two steps I usually do - a lighter color first, and a darker color for the shaded areas.


Shabby Shutters for the leaves. I've used a stamp pad here. Pick up the color from an acrylic block or directly from the pad.


I like my leaves a little more vibrant, so I'm adding color from a marker. Picking up the color just like I did with the stamp pad.


Then I add some Peeled Paint for the shading on the leaves.


For the flowers I`m using Fired Brick. Starting where I want the darkest color...


...pulling the color towards the middle.


Repeat on all the flowers. One of the things I love about watercoloring is that you can add more color at any time - even after drying.


To create a luminous effect, I added some yellow color from a marker around the cross. I also added some yellow to the flowers for a warmer color.


For this card I stamped, colored and cut out two of the flowers a second time, and added them using dimensionals. I also used a white gel pen for highlights and added pearls.

I hope this inspired you to pull out whatever coloring medium you like to use, and have some fun!

See you back here next Sunday!

27 comments:

Sabrina said...

No Copics for me, so I am delighted to see this re-inker tutorial. Thank you :D

Susan said...

WOW! I have all the inks, but had no idea you could do such beautiful painting with them! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Love this - and thanks for sharing your process. I'm not a Copics user either - I love my brushes!

Julie Koerber said...

This is absolutely stunning Yvonne!! I am speechless! :-)

momof5sons said...

This was a very helpful tutorial... I'm just starting to acquire/use Copics, to expand my coloring options, not limit them. This really filled in some blanks for me. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this process so well.

Becky said...

Thank you for this tutorial, this looks just awesome and your card is gorgeous.

America said...

what a wonderful turorial Yvonne!!! Thank you so much for sharing/showing us this step by step process. It's especially helpful to folks like me show dont likecoloring!!! YOUR fabulous "YVONNE-SIGNATURE" results are amazing!!:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Yvonne
I am so very thankful you are sharing your gift. Everytime I see your work I want to know how you did it. I still want to know how you did the Fluer De Lis you did sometime back. Thank You very much for sharing. Jessie

Anonymous said...

Hi Yvonne,
Thank you very much for sharing the Easter Blessings!.I have wanted to use the reinkers for a long time and now with your tutorial I can. I always want to copy your cards but I have trouble trying to figure out how you did them. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks for sharing.

Laurie in MN said...

I've added Yvonne's blog to my favorite list because of her beautiful art work.
I do have some Copics but love the look of painting an image. I never thought of painting using the Ranger pads and reinkers.

Now I am returning to Yvonnes blog to leisurly look through her past entries.

Carol Southern said...

What a very beautiful card and thank you for your tutorial, it was so helpful.

Linda Carson said...

STUNNNING! Thanks for the tutorial!

SandyK said...

Your card is beautiful. Thank you for the tutorial.

Betty Wright said...

Yvonne, this is beyond gorgeous!!! Gorgeous rich coloring and card detailing!!! Beautifully done!!!

WOW GORGEOUS!!!!

Merlie said...

Thank You so much for sharing your coloring technique. I was wondering how you color with distress ink. Love all your cards.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite Flourish sets. You did a beautiful job showing us how to color with the distressed inks. Gorgeous card.
~Pam
http://stampsinc.blogspot.com/

kerry2 said...

Thank you Yvonne, for taking the time to make this tutorial. You sure are a master at creating the most beautiful card creations (as I have told you before)!
I can't wait to try your technique. You are the best....thanks for sharing this with us.

Janet L. said...

I don't have any copics, so I really enjoy seeing and learning about other methods of coloring in images. Thanks so much!!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, Yvonne, you always inspire me with your beautiful coloring! Watercoloring with inks is still my favorite method for florals. I love the names of those distress inks. This card is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Very nice card and thanks for the re-inker tutorial. I am assuming I should use just a damp aqua brush and not add a lot of water to the re-inkers, am I correct.

Thanks,
Cheri
Cheri926@aol.com

Lynn Stevens said...

your work is breathtaking. I'll be trying the distress inks for sure, thanks for the tutorial!

Heavens2Betsy said...

Thank you for this brilliant tutorial. I've struggled to know how to get the best out of my reinkers and now I know! Lovely work.

Carlene aka PinkScrapper99 said...

WOW! I really thought you used copics! You are so talented! Pinkscraper99.blogspot.com

Earline said...

Thanks for the tip your technique I am sure to try love your work

Donna said...

Thank you so much for sharing your talents with all of us. It is so enjoyable to log on and see what you've created every couple of weeks!
Blessings, Donna

Billie said...

Hi

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I've only just bought a set of Distress inks, having been so in love with the Adirondack range. I'll definately give your techniques a go.

Best wishes

Billie

Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing your coloring tutorial. Every time I see your things on SCS, it makes me want to try your technique. Now I know how to do it! I'll have to 'drag' myself away from my Prisma pencils/gamsol to try it out! You coloring is alway stunning and easy to recognize! Kathy