Sunday, January 17, 2010

Inspired by Color

It's Sunday and that means I get to share another project with you from one of Flourishes' beautiful stamp sets called Sweet Violets.

Last week I shared a couple of the places from which I get my inspiration, and I want to continue with that theme for this week as well. As stampers, we love color, and some colors we tend to use and gravitate to all the time. They are comfortable for us. Sometimes, I choose a color that is uncomfortable as a starting point, and then work my card from there.


The main color in this card is an bright orchid color - not one I choose often! I started with the cardstock base first, and then used a similar color to watercolor my violets. I think the contrasting greens add a nice pop of life to these beautiful spring flowers!


Thank you for stopping by today! Next week I will be using two sets to show you a fun tutorial on my favorite technique. Don't miss it!


p.s. If you have a tough time with color, there is actually a great resource online called Color Blender. You can find it HERE. At the bottom of the site, there is a link that says "load a random blend," click on it for a color coordinated mix. Or, move the R,G,and B sliders yourself to "audition" colors together. Once you find color combos you can't live without, you can print and save for ideas in your card making down the road!

11 comments:

StampinCathy said...

This is one stunning card. I just love all the layers, textures, and your coloring is awesome. Purple is my favorite color and this green is just beautiful with it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Connie M. said...

Oh Judy! This is just stunning!! Your use of color is just sooo beautiful!

Carol Southern said...

Gorgeous colours on this card. Very pretty.

Julie Koerber said...

For not turning to orchid often, you sure made it shine Judy! This card is absolutely stunning!!!

Trina Kuriger said...

Lovely card! It is very inspiring, I will try to pull out some of those bright colors I use so infrequently. Thanks so much!

Stacy Morgan said...

Judy this is beautiful. I like the corner accents and wonderful coloring.

ChristineCreations said...

This is just beautiful Judy...you've used the purple and the layers to perfection. Thanks for the color tip too! Looking forward to next week!

Carol L said...

Thanks for sharing this lovely card today! You've colored those violets to perfection, and I love the orchid and green combination!

Cindy Lawrence said...

Judy, this is just STUNNING!!! Absolutely beautiful in every way! :)

PEA said...

Judy,
The card is stunning and I don't generate towards this color either until today that is.
Inspiration can be found anywhere and this was very inspiring. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is the first time visiting your BLOG. I LOVE how you used orchid for the violets unstead of the more traditional violet-blue. This reall made the picture POP! The leaves blended so beautifully.

A Very Beautiful Card,

In His Love,
Traci S. (at SCS)