Sunday, July 5, 2009

Limelight Week 1 with Theresa - Copic Coloring and Emboss Resist

Hello! I am so excited to be here with you for the month of July! What a fantastic time it is at Flourishes with the new Copic Markers Collections. I have to say I was so excited to see how Flourishes is offering Copics in color families, that I wanted my first project with you to focus on Copic coloring.

I used images from a brand new set by Marcella Hawley called, Life, Love and Lemons. I love the detailed images in this set and it lends itself beautifully to coloring.

For the lemons, I used Copics found in The Daffodil Collection.

I started by stamping the image on Flourishes Classic White paper. Then I used the Y17 Copic marker to go around the outer edges of the lemons.

Using the Y15 marker, I worked inward from the previous color, using small circular strokes.

Repeated the same process, using the Y13 marker, working my way further inward, again in small circular strokes.

I followed up with the Y11 marker, leaving just a tiny area white. Then I used my colorless blender pen to push some of the Y11 back, creating a smooth transition of color from white to pale yellow. On the two small flowers, I used Y11, with my blender pen, also.


For the leaves of the lemon branch, I used colors from The Spring Greens Collection and The Evergreen Collection.


To start, I used YG95 along the veins and stems.

Next, I colored over the entire leaves and stems with YG03, using small circular motions.

I added YG91 to the areas that I wanted shaded, then used the colorless blender pen to push back some color from the lightest areas, creating highlights on the leaves.

Before working on the background, I needed to heat emboss the image with clear embossing powder. First, I rubbed an embossing buddy over the entire piece of cardstock, to prevent stray bits of embossing powder to stick due to static cling. If you don't have an embossing buddy, a dryer sheet will work.

To get the embossing powder to stick I used a Versa Mark pen and used it over the entire image. Then I sprinkled my clear embossing powder over the image, shaking the extra off, then heated it with my heat tool, until melted. I like a nice thick layer on my embossed images, so I repeated the process for a second coat.

After embossing the image, I very lightly sponged over the background with So Saffron ink. Then I used some of the word sentiments from Life, Love and Lemons and stamped them repeatedly over the entire background using Versa Mark ink. Next, I embossed the stamped words with clear embossing powder.

After embossing, I sponged more yellow ink, then some light green and olive green inks. I used black and yellow cardstock to layer. The sentiment was cut out using oval Nestabilities from Spellbinders and layered with a scalloped oval.

Thank you so much for joining me today. I hope you'll come back next Sunday for an in depth sponging project with all my favorite sponging tips.

Have a great day!

25 comments:

Taheerah said...

Great card Theresa, can't wait to see what else you bring us this month!

Nancy Jensen said...

Theresa, so good to see you here at Flourishes! I love your card and thanks for the tutorial! I do have one question for you. After embossing the image of the lemons, did you stamp the words right on top of the lemons? If so, I'm amazed that it didn't indent onto the embossed image. (I hope that made sense).

I can't wait to see what else you have for us this month!

Sewflake said...

Theresa, your card is just perfect! It gives me more to learn and try. I look forward to see what you have in store for us this month. I was wonderful to read about you and put a face to a name.

Gabriela said...

Fantastic tutorial - you've encouraged me to try your technique. Thank you!

Patti J. said...

Theresa, wonderful tutorial! As always, I can't wait to see what your next amazing creation will be! Thanks for introducing me to Flourishes as well! What fun! Congrats!

Cindy Haffner said...

Oh my this is fantastic, I love it. I must try it sometime soon.

Linda said...

Theresa, This is outstanding. I love everything you do. Thanks so much for your step by step. I am learning so much from you.

StampinCathy said...

This is just beautiful. You make it sound so easy. Great tutorial!

Stacy Morgan said...

Beautiful! Great tutorial on how you used the copics!

Juls said...

I love this card, really love how the colour has been done and the image is just beautiful.simple yet elegant card.

craftimamma said...

Beautiful card as always Theresa and wonderful tutorial too.

I've had a good look round Flourishes too!

Lesley Xx

NancyK said...

What a great tutorial Theresa! Your card is drop dead gorgeous!

Latisha said...

theresa I just love your card!!
hugs
Latisha

Linda Carson said...

Picture Perfect!! Thanks for the tutorial! Very inspirational!

Julie Koerber said...

WOW...wow.. and more wow! I absolutely love this technique and the vibrant colors you brought out in that lemon! JUST STUNNING! We are so happy to have you this month! I have a feeling we are going to learn a lot from you! ;-)

veronica said...

this is beautiful. love that the lemons look so 3 dimensional, and then embossed.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Theresa - YOU GO GIRL! Fabulous tutorial, along with a fabulous card! Can't wait to see what else you do this month of July!

Norine said...

what a pretty card and great coloring I havent taken the plunge on the copics yet LOL
Hugs
Norine

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Theresa, this is simply stunning! Thanks for the fab tutorial on working with Copics!

Payne Holler Cards said...

Theresa, this card is so lovely! I am soaking everything I can watching you work with the copics. I'm going to try this technique, hopefully I do this one better than the crayon resist LOL
Linda

Anonymous said...

Wow!! This is just fabulous!! Great technique, wonderful coloring and beautiful results!! TMFS!!
smiles,
Deena

Betty Wright said...

Gorgeous, Theresa!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!! Beautifully done!!!

Unknown said...

I am totally blown away by your card. This is a masterpiece!!! Really awe-inspiring, how you've put the whole thing together. Thank you for sharing your work with us!

Georgia Ehrmann said...

Wow...this is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for the great tutorial

Hobbyaholic said...

This is a gorgeous card. I just love the tutorials. Glad you invited me over.

(Hobbyaholic)